Sunday, May 3, 2009

QCG - a breath of fresh air to the magazine world

Last night I went to a magazine launch. Sophee the editor has a vision to change the perception of beauty with the media – a huge undertaking and one that needs to be both encouraged and supported.

At first, Sophee had wanted to produce a magazine aimed at her own age group – that of under 25s. She quite rightly believes the body image is influenced almost exclusively through the images young girls receive through the media. Unfortunately, the reception she received about her idea was met with resistance and heavily discouraged.

She turned to her mothers age group –the lady-boomers and found the women over 40 were more comfortable with their bodies, have had enough life experience to realize that beauty radiates from within. Sadly the current models and stars don’t support these undercurrents – Cleo and Cosmo were once bastions of fashion and feminine spirit for the over 30 woman. Nowadays they seem to have been reduced to an audience of under 21s. – at least the articles appear to be written for that age group and the models – well….. I would wonder how many were over 15.

The magazine – QCG – Queensland Calendar Girls will be produced quarterly and will collect inspirational stories of strength and endurance hope and true beauty for the more mature set of women.

Sophees vision is inspiration. As he quoted the wonderful words – be the change you want to see in the world, many of us had to hold back a tear. Follow her on twitter
or check out the website.

Brings me back to my next thought of acceptance for all body types. I am still struggling with the concept and perhaps in a worse place than I have ever been.

I had wanted this blog to be inspirational and full of hope and promise for others and all it has seemed to be is me whining and carrying on about how gross I am. I have not posted for a long time as I felt it was hypocritical of me to do so.

Having forced myself to be sociable and network once again am mortified by the photos of the evening depicting me. I stare and wonder who the fat old chick is and willing her to wake up to herself and get the hell out of the public eye and go and hide back in a cupboard where she belongs.

No comments: