Sunday, June 7, 2009

Adreniline Rushes

Its not anything new - but I get Adrenaline Rushes constantly throughout the day. - you know that cold "silver" spreading feeling that starts in your chest and tingles its way through your body? I can't say my heart rushes or anything before or afterwards - but its been with me so long I thought its normal.

Its the reason I can't sleep or relax. I can't stop still and have to move all the time.

did some reserach and found that adrenaline is a hormone produced by the adrenal gland in the body of many animals. When it is produced in the body it stimulates the heart-rate, dilates blood vessels and air passages, and has a number of more minor effects. Adrenaline is naturally produced in high-stress or physically exhilarating situations.

Does this men I live in a constant state of high stress? hummm must do I guess - but I wouldn't have said I was stressed normally. I usually got it all down pat.

The term "fight or flight" is often used to characterize the circumstances under which adrenaline is released into the body. It is an early evolutionary adaptation to allow better coping with dangerous and unexpected situations. With dilated blood vessels and air passages, the body is able to pass more blood to the muscles and get more oxygen into the lungs in a timely manner, increasing physical performance for short bursts of time.

The adrenal glands may be found directly above the kidneys in the human body, and are roughly three inches (7.62 cm) in length. Norepinephrine (or noradrenaline) is also released from the adrenal glands when they are active. In a healthily functioning human, approximately 80% of the released substance is adrenaline, and the other 20% is norepinephrine.

Adrenaline was the first hormone to be identified, and was successfully synthesized in 1904. It is part of a family known as biogenic amines, which includes serotonin and histamine, among others. Its specific compound group is the catecholamine group, which also includes norepinephrine and dopamine. Sustained high levels of catecholamines in the blood are a good indicator of chronic stress.

It may be important after a particularly stressful situation to 'work off' the adrenaline that has been released into your system. Our ancestors handled this naturally through fighting or other physical exertion, but in the modern world, high-stress situations often arise that that involve little physical activity. This can leave high amounts of adrenaline in the body, resulting in insomnia and jittery nerves.

alot more research tells me that its pretty bad for the heart and lessens your life expectancy. So for me to have adrenaline shooting off every 10 mins ( or less) is umm a bit of a concern.

might have to do some more research

No comments: